Chutney 2009

Posted on September 16, 2009

4


2008’s Courgette Chutney, made by Ed, was a resounding success. We ate plenty of it ourselves and also gave some to friends and all agreed it was really quite good. A good dollop with cheese on toast or with crusty bread and ham was always welcome. We even ran out before Summer, so this year we were determined to make sure we had a plentiful supply.

So we started early, planting up a full packet of green and another of yellow courgette seeds. Not a single one managed to germinate. I later realised this was because they were in our shed/greenhouse and that Mr Mouse and all his mousey friends had dug out the little seeds, eaten them and left the husks on the window sill. Then started a panic of re-planting and cadging seedlings off friends.

Finally, after many soups, fried courgettes and risotto’s there were nearly (after a final donation from Tina) enough left over to make the 2009 vintage chutney. Ed researched many recipe’s including Hugh FW’s and various others and had decided on the following ratios that I have stuck to for this year, but for an added 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes:

  • 2kg Courgettes finely chopped
  • 1kg Onion, finely chopped
  • 1 kg Tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
  • 250g Sultanas
  • ‘Some’ fresh garlic and ginger
  • 1 ltr Cider Vinegar
  • 750g Brown Sugar
  • 2 tsp Salt, 12 Peppercorns, 10 Cloves
  • 1 tsp Coriander, 1 tsp Cumin and 1tsp Nutmeg

Here it is, set out all tv cookery show style, crikey what a lot of stuff!: 

Basically it’s a case of sauteing the courgettes and onion, then gradually adding the rest and simmering for 3-5 hours.  The biggest faff is the scrubbing of jars and sterilising them. I went for a hot wash in the dishwasher (the jars, lids and ladle, not me), followed by 10 minutes in the oven at 150°. I also put wax discs on the top whilst they were still warm. It rather spookily made exactly 11 jars this year and last year.

I need Ed to write the labels as my handwriting is rubbish, then we just have to wait for a few months for it to mature before we can crack into the first jar.