Damson in Distress

Posted on September 18, 2011

9


I was disappointed, to say the least, when the damson jam and damson cheese that I made turned out to be very tasty, but slightly grainy damson toffee.

I scoured the internet for a solution and found people with the same problem were given only vague suggestions of how to solve it. It’s a common problem, I gather, because of the high pectin content in damsons. I blame it on the fact that I boiled the mixture too quickly and for too long.

We decided to make the best of a bad job by taking the matter into our own (sticky) hands. I turfed both lots of preserve back into a pan with a kettle full of hot water and slowly melted down the thick globules of jam until it was a homogenous syrup. I then got Ed’s help to sieve it to get rid of any lumps and brought it back up to a rolling boil for 5 minutes to reset it, using the ‘cold saucer’ method to check for a set.

It worked!

We now have 5 jars of perfectly smooth lightly set damson jam…and a kitchen ‘what looks like we done a murder’.

Posted in: Claire, Food, Fruity